In the era of technological advancements, databases are deemed as one of the most basic and common elements of information. Hence, a database can be used for any personal or professional need. When considered at both levels, database helps in enhancing information organization and accessibility which helps in directly transforming to more informed decisions and saving time. Moreover, many online database let you connect the data across databases so that you can make informed relational decisions. This is termed as a relational database.
Before seeking particular features or products, ascertain what functions you want your database to serve your business operations. The more specific and determined you are in this process, the easier your selection will be.
Here are six factors to consider.
- Type of content: Type of data you want the database to hold. Ensure to opt for an option that supports all necessary file extensions with an easily accessible layout.
- Amount of content: Amount of data you have to store in the storage space of your online database.
- Audience: The parties that will interface access to your database. This will also impact your layout, usability considerations and organization.
- Users: The parties that will have access to your database. You need to have control levels as well.
- Security: Employing SSL and TLS encryption protocols for security purposes.
Importance of Online Databases in Businesses
- Customer Relationship Management: Soliciting and analysing customer data like orders, feedback, transaction history etc.
- Finances: Manage accounting operations on an online database so that the necessary parties have access to the numbers at any time.
- Inventory tracking: To monitor inventory aspects like orders, timing, and on-hand inventory and perform inventory management.
- Personnel: Maintain a database of your employees like contact details, history, performance etc.
Importance of Online Databases in Personal Life
- Personal Budget: Helps in creating a budget database by listing savings, expenses and income.
- Notes and/or to do lists: Helps in creating easy to do list for the day.
- Personal Media: Cloud storage helps people in storing their personal media files like audio, video, pictures and other multimedia files.
- Medical records: Online database has made it easy for you and your family to store your medical database like medical history, vaccines, illness etc. The list is endless.